Saturday, August 9, 2008

Conference and Storm

This week was spent at the FCS Conference in Dallas. Family Consumer Science is the new term of Home Economics. (we have to be politically correct in this everchanging world....) My little brain is on overload! There were 52 con-current sessions to choose from during "break out" sessions. I am teaching a new course this year called "Ready, Set, Teach!" The training was very informative and right now....I'm overprocessed with data! We had a good time meeting new friends and enjoying new places to eat dinner in the West End. We stayed at the Sheraton/ the old Adam's Mark Hotel. It is connected to the Plaza of Americas which is an amazing office building with food market/ ice skating rink. Our favorite stop was the Dallas Market downtown. We stopped on our way out and got fresh produce. It's a home ec. teacher's dream place to shop. Rows and rows of nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables. I know, I'm quirky. I'm planning on making pickles and pickled jalapenos today. The tomatoes are amazing! I picked up peaches for Jerry---his favorite.




My co-worker and I left Monday a.m. with Eduoardo (sp) coming into the Gulf Coast early Tuesday a.m. It appeared that the tropical storm would make landfall around Galveston. Needless to say...I think our area (Sabine Pass) is a storm magnet. I prayed continuously Monday evening that the storm wouldn't be a "bad one". And, it wasn't. We received some rain and wind...but nothing major! Jerry & Collin had to repair a section of our fence that had a tree limb on it. Our pool has some "trash in it"---pine needles, leaves, etc... But, this is absolutely no big deal. Today will be a "yard" day for me which I love to do. (I know...quirky....)


1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm glad you are safely back home!